Not something I went through and came out the other side, but together, with you, I’ll wade through these murky moments.
What’s going on now:
- EXTREMEEEEE frustration with tech issues, overdue blog posts, long to-do list.
- It starts with one thing not happening right – a blog feed goes awry.
- As I focus on that and try to resolve it, more things start happening.
- I ask for help, and none is forthcoming.
- I miss the cable guy by 2 minutes.
- He comes back, but there’s a problem and the connection won’t work.
- My pile of papers is looming large. I swear I can see it making faces!
- I’m freaking out about all that I have to do.
- I haven’t written my goals down for the $200 consult I paid so I can’t book it yet.
- Can’t bear to look at the gazillion unread emails (ok, million cos I unsubbed from heaps).
- I’m planning a trip to New Zealand but I haven’t renewed my passport, bought a ticket or looked to see if I can even afford it.
- Oh dear Lord, what is wrong with me!? I can’t think anymore! The voices in my head could shatter glass.
NOTHING is going right!!! Wtf!?
Except one thing – I’ve just decided I’m going to do what scares me the most about this situation. Nothing. That’s right, nothing. I’m done fixing. Let it all sink, let the worst happen. I’m way over my head anyways. I always make a mess! I should know better. Bugger.
You’ve done this too, right? Focussed on something that was so important to do, only to unravel like a ball of string in kitty paws. As the string gets twisted and knotted, so do you. The only one having fun is that kitty. And how! She’s is in bliss, not caring whether the ball is a tangle that will take ages to fix. It’s not HER job!
All that matters is how much fun it is! She knows how to be present. In the moment. Create a mess. Let the sky fall on her head. As she goes about her merry way, playing and miaoing.
Suddenly, I GET it!
My mind is that kitten, laughing and playing with me. I’m the ball of string that can either resist and get more knotted up, or offer up none so that it soon gets bored and moves on.
If that doesn’t bring a smile to your face .. 🙂
And just as easily, the tide turns.
As I write, my mood lifts, I’m smiling at the Tia of a few minutes ago who was grabbing her head in despair and beating down on herself. Wow, she can get really get her knickers in a twist! And will you just LOOk at all the negative self chatter that comes up when she’s not being aware? Yikes!
See how easy it is to get unraveled?
What you focus on expands, so really choose where your energy is going. The more I thought about what wasn’t right, the worse it got. I could have stopped those thoughts in their tracks like I usually do, but got so drawn into them this time, it took some real awareness to find my way out.
This was a real life example of how I deal with overwhelm, a process that really worked for me. And as I look back, I can only be grateful for the fact that it took about 10 minutes from when I started writing to change it around. Something that would have taken me days a couple of years ago! AND I got a blog post written. Funny that..
Next time it happens to YOU, try this:
1) Feel the panic rise, the irritation mount
2) Breathe, relax yourself with kind words
3) Take a break & come back to it
4) Still there? Getting worse? Let it! Now it’s game on.
5) Imagine all the horrible things that will happen if you don’t get it all done
6) Have a minor meltdown (mine was less than 30 seconds, not kidding!)
7) Dream up a metaphor for what’s going on
8) Exaggerate metaphor till you burst out laughing (use a funny voice)
9) Come back and finish what you started OR do something else (whichever feels better)
Whatever you do, honour what’s going on in the moment. Consciously choose to feel it through. And remember, if it can’t be fixed, give up and go do something nice for yourself instead!
What are some ways that work for you when you’re feeling overwhelmed, sh***y, frustrated or when it seems like you can do nothing right? When “feeling good” just isn’t working? Would love to hear your tips and process, thanks in advance for sharing!